|Refreshed and republished on November 10th, 2023|
|This post was originally published on March 14th, 2022, and has been enhanced and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.|
A deep sense of responsibility towards the environment, our customers, and the wider cocoa communities drives our approach to sustainability.
The challenge is forging paths toward a sustainable future for all and setting new standards in the chocolate manufacturing sector.
Our journey is not just about chocolate production; it’s about creating a legacy of environmental stewardship and community empowerment.
What are we doing to neutralize our carbon footprint?
👇🏽Discover our ambitious pursuit of sustainability and the tangible progress we have made:
- Striving for Net-Zero: A 2050 Vision
- Strategies to Reduce Carbon Footprint in Chocolate Production
- Green Supply Chain: Beyond Carbon Neutrality
- Empowering Producers: Sustainable Agriculture & Carbon Sequestration
Striving for Net-Zero: A 2050 Vision for the chocolate industry
Surpassing international benchmarks is at the heart of our mission as we strive to accomplish the Paris Agreement’s goal for net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Our commitment to sustainability is evident through our participation in the United Nations Race to Zero campaign, promoting collaborative efforts across various sectors to reduce carbon emissions collectively.
In 2022, we made significant progress, achieving a 9.95% reduction in direct carbon emissions.
Our Strategies to Reduce Carbon Footprint in Chocolate Production
- The ‘Sunflower’ Project: Launched in 2022, this project represents a significant advancement in embracing renewable energy, with 396 solar panels installed at our Bogotá production plant.
- 100% Renewable Energy Transition: In 2023, we successfully transitioned all our operations to renewable energy, utilizing a combination of our solar panels and renewable energy certificates from Colombian projects adhering to global I-REC standards.
- Continual Energy Efficiency: Our commitment doesn’t end at sourcing renewable energy. We are relentlessly innovating, transitioning to LED lighting, automating equipment, and implementing more innovative lighting controls to boost energy efficiency.
Green Supply Chain: Beyond Carbon Neutrality
We reduced and neutralized our direct emissions (scopes 1 and 2), earning us the carbon-neutral certification.
We’ve also started evaluating our scope 3 emissions, seeking opportunities to lessen emissions throughout the supply chain. Collaborative efforts with suppliers and stakeholders in the cocoa industry are essential to consistently enhancing our sustainability initiatives.
Empowering Producers: Sustainable Agriculture & Carbon Sequestration
Through our Sustainability Plan, The Chocolate Dream, we work closely with producers to encourage agricultural practices that protect the environment and reduce carbon emissions.
We are also actively assisting producers in turning the carbon sequestration of their farms into carbon credits. This initiative contributes to global emission reduction efforts and opens new revenue streams for farmers, enhancing their economic stability.